smashed beet crostini + a garden meal

BeetCrostini_ sundaysuppers

I recently styled a garden dinner for daily candy at one of my favorite gardens in the neighborhood – our friends at Aurora were so welcoming and awesome.

If you haven’t been you should, it’s lovely and good food. The recipe for our smashed beet crostini is below (you have to click into the link and then the recipe card below)

And read the full story here  with more recipes including Drinks by Maison Premiere, Menu design by Suitor Life and a beautiful flower-fruit garland how to by BRRCH

Smashed Beet, Crispy Chickpea, and Mint Crostini
Serves four to six

For the smashed beets
3 md. red beets

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Trim and wash beets. Put them in a baking dish, add a splash of water, and cover tightly.

3. Roast the beets in the oven for about 75 minutes, until they are cooked through.

4. Allow beets to cool. Peel and smash them using a fork on a cutting board.

For the crispy chickpeas
1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. smoked paprika

1. Dry beans on a bed of paper towels, rolling the beans around to remove their thin skins. Discard the skins.

2. Place beans on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the beans and toss to coat.

3. Roast 30-40 minutes in a 400° oven until the beans are a deep golden brown and crunchy, making sure they do not burn.

4. Season with salt and spices.

For the balsamic vinegar glaze
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1/3 c. water
1 tbsp. caster (superfine) sugar

1. Place the vinegar, water, and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.

2. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.

To assemble
8 slices bread, toasted
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 c. mint leaves, torn
Sea salt, to taste

1. Brush bread with olive oil, place on a baking sheet, and toast in a 400° oven for about 5 minutes.

2. Rub each slice with the garlic clove. Add smashed beets, crispy chickpeas, and mint. Top with a drizzle of the balsamic reduction and sprinkle with sea salt.

1. Ashley says: July 18, 201310:35 pm

i love your blog!
    the photo is great!

2. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says: July 19, 20137:21 am

Such a lovely photo! Beets are so great on a crostini!

3. thecitygourmand says: July 19, 20138:20 am

Beautiful + rustic

4. Ketmala Phoumalavong says: July 20, 201311:22 pm

Beautiful photo! Love the video of the set up.

5. Shelby says: July 21, 201312:48 pm

Oooo I just love this! Such bold colors and flavors…rustic bounty from the earth… Thank you!

6. Amy Murnan says: July 21, 20131:34 pm

My mum loves eating our fresh beetroot from the garden, might surprise her with this one at some point, thanks for sharing!

7. Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} says: July 22, 20131:36 am

It looks mouthwatering and oh so lovely!

8. Bamba says: July 23, 201311:31 am

Beautiful job and I love it even more because Aurora Brooklyn is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC :)

9. Dave says: August 2, 20135:05 am

Great thing is I have all the ingredients for this in my garden, well, minus the bread that is. Definitely want to try this!

10. Anne's Kitchen says: August 4, 201312:21 pm

Hi Karen,
    I just discovered your beautiful blog through the Food & Wine Digital awards (for which I’m also a recipient). How lovely to find you – I will certainly be following you from now on! And, I might be filming a few episodes of my TV show in NYC next year, so then we should see if we could film something together!
    Happy cooking & styling!
    Anne

11. […] So without further ado, click onwards for the delicious recipe courtesy of Sunday Suppers: Smashed Beet, Crispy Chickpea, and Mint Crostini! […]

12. Donald @ Tea TIme says: August 11, 20131:49 pm

Nice photo, I love that wood.

13. Кристина Белова says: August 12, 201312:27 pm

Very beautifully!

14. Dean says: August 14, 20134:19 am

Is it weird that I love crostini? Looks amazing.

15. Golden Sun Resto says: August 18, 201311:48 pm

Oh my, this looks scrumptious! Nice, looks totally healthy and yummy :) Been eating loads of carbs lately and hanging out at a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area, I need to go on a diet :D This look so good can’t wait to try it out!

16. Sydney says: August 19, 20132:33 am

This is so freaking lovely. You should be so proud. It’s simultaneously ethereal and down-to-earth. <3.

17. […] Our kitchen is absolutely brimming with fresh, organic beets from One Woman Farm, so our favorite dish on the menu was obviously the Smashed Beet Crostini.  The detailed recipe card is available from Sunday Suppers. […]

18. umer says: September 6, 20137:39 am

Cafe POA delivers Simple Menu App for Restaurants, Hotels and Food stores.Simple integration with Social Media, existing POS e.g. Aloha as well as Payment Systems to increase sales, improve quality,enhance customer engagement and increase revenue.

19. Weekend Love List ¶ Suppers From Scratch says: September 21, 20137:25 am

[…] amazing beetroot inspiration (the other inspiration are these beauties of […]

20. Trisha says: September 23, 20136:55 am

Looks so delicious. Those colours are fab x

21. Neha Dubey @ SAGMart says: October 1, 20137:50 am

Pure natural dish.

22. Adri says: October 11, 20135:40 pm

Beautiful! The beets are a glorious color, and the ceci a nice contrast. That plank is perfect.

23. Edition #2 // February 2014 | Millét says: April 24, 201412:45 pm

[…] hand-woven handtowels perfect for any bathroom (I ordered the white one ). 8. A recipe for Smashed Beet Crostini on Sunday Suppers. 9. The packaging design for this Rodin […]

24. Edition #2 | Millét says: April 30, 20147:11 pm