Rustic Italian Dinner :: Afogatos + Cookies

Dessert at our Italian dinner was a traditional afogato, called a Piccolo Affogato al Caffe (espresso poured over gelato). Our friends Ben and Laura from Van Leeuwen brought a vanilla flavored  ice cream from their shop. If you haven’t tried Van Leeuwan ice cream yet – you must ! Their yellow trucks are scattered throughout the city and the have a little shop in williamsburg as well. The best part is that they use local and organic products to hand make all their ice creams. Alongside the gelato, we served an array of cookies from another local fave –  One Girl Cookies. And with this we end our Italian dinner posts – thanks again to all our friends and vendors for participating in such a wonderful day !

Recipe :: Piccolo Affogato al Caffe
Makes 12

3 cups vanilla gelato or ice cream
2 cups strongly brewed espresso
Garnish: espresso beans

Directions

Arrange 12 small glasses on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each with 1/4 cup gelato. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Pour 3 tablespoons espresso over each. Garnish with espresso beans. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart Living

1. Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess says: June 24, 201012:12 pm

Mmmm…. that looks wonderful, and makes me wonder: Would Starbucks be willing to drop some gelato into my morning espresso?? :-)

2. monica says: June 24, 20102:50 pm

beautiful!

3. vanessa says: June 24, 20104:00 pm

je trouve dommage que tu aies changé le look de ton blog, je le trouvais plus percutant auparavant, là, il semble un peu fade et pourtant tes photos sont toujours aussi réussies, mais elles sont moins en valeur, il me semble.

4. nina says: June 24, 20104:30 pm

The old tray is such a perfect backdrop for the coffee and biscuits. Simple yet stunning!!

5. Sandy says: June 24, 20108:47 pm

Love your blog, the afogatos caught my attention-they look delicious-one of my favorite drinks during the summer,
    Sandy

6. Robin Zaas says: June 25, 20106:21 am

A tasty and beautiful way to end any meal! Love your blog!

7. Maddie says: June 25, 201010:37 am

Love afogatos! And what gorgeous glass cake stands!

8. Lydia says: June 25, 20107:36 pm

That all looks so Yummy! Your blog is amazing so pretty and always makes me hungry.

9. Ash says: June 26, 201010:15 pm

Gorgeous!! I love all of this!!

10. philandlauren says: June 28, 20109:32 am

stop! The photos are too beautiful! They really are spectacular and highlight the beauty of food.

11. angela says: June 28, 201012:55 pm

Please let me know where to buy the cake pedstals and covers. Thanks.

12. mynameishailey says: June 29, 201011:54 am

wow. you guys never cease to amaze me. absolutely incredible + delicious looking!

13. Alessandra says: July 1, 20101:40 pm

This is a GREAT-GREAT blog! Congratulations!!! :)

Just a note: in Italian coffee is Caffè and not Caffe (I’m Italian), however your affogato al caffè seems to be wonderful! Congrats!!!

Greetings from Italy

14. virginia says: July 1, 20104:24 pm

I love this coffee & I love this blog

15. kiss my spatula says: July 2, 20104:27 am

what a perfectly beautiful way to end a meal! xo.

16. Banc says: July 2, 20108:43 am

I don’t know if I want to eat this with my eyes or my mouth more!!! absolutely beautiful!

17. jokemijn says: July 2, 20101:13 pm

this looks gorgeous! Althoug i don’t drink coffee i’m sure this will be delicious

18. Anna says: July 2, 20104:06 pm

Spec-tacular! I’m in utter awe.

19. Elga says: July 3, 20105:04 am

Make me an Italian woman happy! Fantastic photographs for a recipe that makes the chapter!

20. nicole says: July 5, 20102:57 pm

Beautiful! It looks so delicious, and wonderful touch on the website with the recipe cards. I look forward to much more from you all. SO sorry I live too far away to participate.

21. Catherine says: July 6, 201010:21 am

We add a small splash of amaretto or sometimes kahlua to our affogato.

22. Michelle A says: July 7, 20107:59 pm

Would love to know where to find the gorgeous cake pedestals/covers? You have an amazing eye… all incredibly beautiful.

23. [...] row (l-r): Cider; bridesmaid dress; pinecone bouquet; Uggs bride Row 2: Lemon cookies; pinecone garland; caramel apples; programmes; butternut soup Row 3: Wood invitations; cheese cake; [...]

24. Nicole Ferguson says: July 31, 201012:13 pm

Hi Karen. I am having a hard time finding glass dessert stands like the ones in your picture. I am sure you have had those for years. Would you know where I could go look in NYC? If you do please let me know. Thanks!!!!

25. AJ says: August 15, 20109:13 pm

Hi I would love to know where to buy the glass cloches as well in Australia?

26. sharon says: August 20, 20102:48 pm

i love this! espresso is amazing with ice cream =)

27. [...] by Saipua; dahlia & peach arrangement by Ariella Chezar via Oh Happy Day; coffee – Sunday Suppers} Leave a Reply Click here to cancel [...]

28. Rowena says: March 3, 20118:58 pm

Hello, I absolutely love the cake stands and covers too. I’d also like to know there origin. Thanks!

29. Cristina says: July 22, 20115:53 am

Hi there! I’m Italian, I love your blog and these affogato al caffè looks like beautiful!! yummy!
    Greetings from Italy
    Cristina

30. Resourceful Eats says: September 28, 20118:47 am

[...] to cooking a meal. It’s all about cooking & eating together. And I could eat every thing on this site [...]

31. Morning coffee : Chantelle Grady says: January 2, 20123:59 pm

[...] the look of these Afogatos & Cookies on Sunday Suppers! The styling is beautiful as well. Soon I will be working from home rather than in an office close [...]

32. Setting the Table: Trip to Tuscany says: June 19, 20128:20 am

[...] Credits: table, arugula, pizza, gelato Leave a Comment Filed Under: Setting the Table Tagged With: gelato affogato, grilled pizza, [...]

33. Weekend Photo Taste #10 | CreativeMug says: August 11, 20125:32 am

[...] + Cookies via Sunday Suppers / Photo & Styling by Karen [...]

34. Robyn says: October 2, 20126:37 pm

You call it Piccolo Affogato al Caffe, I call it breakfast!

35. Entrevista says: August 2, 20132:16 pm

So elegant!

36. […] This bruschetta bar from What’s Gaby Cooking is absolutely perfect! Jump over to see her recipes, I’ve got my eyes on the spring pea pesto. You could get everything together the night before, then just get a few big cutting boards, some small bowls, and spoons, grill up some bread and voila! Dinner is ready! Secondly, you know it’s not an Italian dinner without wine, right? I love the idea of having different types of rose for friends to try. I’m also a big fan of having friends bring a bottle to share (cost effective and you get to try new kinds!). Just make sure you chill pinks and whites the night before and uncork or decant reds before the party starts to let them breathe. Finally it’s not a dinner party without dessert (and espresso!) and this couldn’t be easier. Simply pour freshly brewed espresso over store bought gelato and serve. See the recipe here! […]