Recipe :: Jam Butters and Buttermilk Biscuits

These are the easiest, fluffiest, yummiest biscuits. Make them once and you’ll never forget them.
And the butters…Oh baby- the butters! These will be the simplest things you ever make and they will knock the socks off of your guests. Make sure the butter is at room temp so they’ll incorporate properly. Also, use any brand or flavor of jam you like. Take it one step further by using French or Danish butter. Trust me- you’ll notice the difference.

———-
see recipes below
All Photography by Karen Mordechai

Biscuits
1c unbleached all-purpose flour
1c cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbl turbinado sugar
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp kosher salt
8 tbl cold butter
¾ c cold buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients. Pulse to aerate. Cut cold butter into ½ inch cubes and scatter over the flour mixture. Pulse 12 times. The mixture should look like cornmeal. You should still be able to see pea sized pieces of butter. Dump the mixture into a medium sized bowl and add buttermilk. Mix swiftly until just combined. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop biscuits onto a baking sheet. Do this quickly so as to keep the mixture as cold as possible. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm with jam butters.Butters

3 sticks of room temperature unsalted butter (8oz each)
4-5 tbl each: strawberry, apricot, blueberry jams

Mix one stick of butter with one type of jam. You can do this by hand or with an electric mixer. Put in a ramekin or place in wax paper and roll to a log. These will keep for a week.

Recipes courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers

Recipe :: Jam Butters and Buttermilk Biscuits

Biscuits
1c unbleached all-purpose flour
1c cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbl turbinado sugar
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp kosher salt
8 tbl cold butter
¾ c cold buttermilk

Butters
3 sticks of room temperature unsalted butter (8oz each)
4-5 tbl each: strawberry, apricot, blueberry jams

Recipes courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers

1. allnsundry says: May 18, 20091:34 pm

deLux!!!! i had major food coma after this one. hehe. beautiful pics, karen!

2. Pravina Studio says: May 18, 20097:57 pm

jam butter just might be the most brilliant thing I’ve ever heard of…

3. Mademoiselle Frou-Frou says: May 18, 200910:44 pm

your site looks delicious!! lovely!
    xox

4. Anonymous says: May 20, 200910:43 am

These look divine but I just wanted to check what is meant by cake flour and what is turbinado sugar?
    Maraka

5. Brandy says: May 20, 20091:16 pm

Looks yummy I cant wait to try the jam butters this weekend when we have company!I’d try the biscuits too but as the person before me asked- what is the difference in the flour and turbinado sugar??

6. Sunday Suppers says: May 20, 20094:36 pm

Cake flour can be bought at your grocery store. It is a super-fine milling of the softest part of the wheat kernel with less protein than all purpose flour which makes for a lighter texture.
    Turbinado sugar is the raw sugar cane. It is a larger crystal that has not been refined/purified like white sugar. It has a similar taste to brown sugar. It gives the biscuits pops of sweetness instead of sugary throughout. Happy Baking!!

7. Brittany says: May 21, 20095:56 pm

Can you please clarify the amount of all purpose flower? Looks like the amount may have gotten cut off. Thank you!

8. Sunday Suppers says: May 21, 20096:02 pm

Hi Notes from the Grove- that wouldn’t be Ocean Grove would it?
    It is 1 cup of all purpose and 1 cup of cake flour. Happy baking!!!

9. Anonymous says: May 21, 20099:28 pm

mmmmMMMmmmmmmmmm

10. Voodoomaggie says: May 23, 200912:19 am

So delicious I can’t wait to try them, I was just thinking about making some fresh blueberry jam and this would be a perfect use for it. :)

11. Carlotta says: May 23, 20097:14 am

I need to try the butterjam seems delicoius!!

12. Diana Hulme says: June 3, 20097:39 pm

What a beautiful blog. I love the photography here & your recipes look great! Thanks!

13. Lori Bowling says: July 20, 20092:30 am

Wonderful, will try the jam, have plenty of homemade!!!! Love the biscuits

14. Sixpence and a Blue Moon says: July 30, 20099:59 pm

Looks delicious! I’m going to try these biscuits.
    Beautiful photos, making them look all the more yummy.

15. disa says: September 21, 20092:45 am
  16. tastingsf says: February 3, 20104:08 am
  17. oiuy says: March 9, 20102:03 am

good idea

18. michele says: May 5, 20102:49 pm

i happened upon you, on etsy.com ! what a treat !
    i’ve been experimenting with cheeses, and now have 28 chickens, so i’m always looking for things to make out of eggs. your site is beautiful ! gald to find you !

19. leigh says: July 5, 201011:14 pm

I just died inside.
    Oh my goodness.

20. Kelly Diane says: August 12, 20107:30 pm

These are so fabulous! I just tested them out and can’t get enough. I am doing them for a baby shower brunch which I think will be perfect! Thank you!!

21. youlikemarket says: September 30, 201112:49 am

what now I attend about webpage then we Love us for your very bestthing. We would like to save its.

22. Chelsie says: February 2, 20129:51 pm

Delicious! And super easy to make. Made a half a batch to test it and I already want to make a whole batch for breakfast tomorrow. I didn’t have a food processor so I just used a pastry blender and it worked out great.

23. Let’s Do Brunch | Rue La La says: February 16, 20122:46 pm

[...] To make these gorgeous fruit butters, simply combine your strawberry, apricot and blueberry jam with room-temperature butter by hand or with a mixer. YUM, right? Get the recipe for flaky buttermilk biscuits here. [...]

24. Mandy says: March 24, 20121:04 pm

Looks gorgeous! I am planning on baking these for Easter and am wondering how many biscuits does this recipe make?

25. [...] courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers. Visit Sunday Suppers for directions on how to prepare this recipe. Photo: Karen [...]

26. [...] courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers. Visit Sunday Suppers for directions on how to prepare this recipe. Photo: Karen [...]

27. [...] courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers. Visit Sunday Suppers for directions on how to prepare this recipe. Photo: Karen [...]

28. [...] courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers. Visit Sunday Suppers for directions on how to prepare this recipe. Photo: Karen [...]

29. [...] courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers. Visit Sunday Suppers for directions on how to prepare this [...]

30. [...] courtesy of Casey Solomon for Sunday Suppers. Visit Sunday Suppers for directions on how to prepare this recipe. Photo: Karen [...]

31. Tea time » Pearls for Paper says: September 21, 20129:32 am

[...] {clockwise from top right: via; via; via; via} [...]

32. [...] via sunday suppers Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Posted in life | Tagged [...]

33. paris brown says: July 3, 20139:02 pm

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding
    more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this information for my mission.