Recipe :: Bittersweet Chocolate and Orange Pot de Creme with Almond Cream

All Photography by Karen Mordechai

Casey’s Tip: I like using bittersweet chocolate for these little lovelies but they can be made with semi, dark or milk.

Bittersweet Chocolate and Orange Pot de Crème with Almond Cream

1 ½ c milk

2 eggs

a pinch of salt

2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

2 tbl of Grand Marnier

zest of 1 orange

Bring the milk to a simmer in a sauce pan. Put eggs, salt, chocolate, Grand Marnier and orange zest in a blender. Pulse until combined. On medium speed, slowly add in the hot milk and blend for 1 minute. Pour into individual small bowls or ramekins and chill for at least an hour. Serve with almond cream. Copyright © 2009 by Casey Solomon

Almond Cream

1 ½ c whipping cream

1 ½ tsp almond extract

2 tbl sugar

Ya’ll know how to make whipped cream!

Bittersweet Chocolate and Orange Pot de Crème with Almond Cream

1 ½ c milk

2 eggs

a pinch of salt

2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

2 tbl of Grand Marnier

zest of 1 orange

Almond Cream

1 ½ c whipping cream

1 ½ tsp almond extract

2 tbl sugar

1. Room design studio says: June 17, 20098:41 am

Oh My the presentation is just so pretty and sophisticated!! I love this !!

2. Anonymous says: July 9, 200910:36 pm

these look sooo good, I actually am going to make them for a dinner party of ten tomorrow…how many is this recipe good for approximately?

3. Sunday Suppers says: July 10, 20092:49 pm

Hi Anonymous,
    Between 4 and 6 depending on the vessels you use. Let us know how it turns out!!

4. Anonymous says: July 12, 20091:02 pm

So I served these Friday night and they were a huge hit! They really are so easy to make and prep in advance. They are going to be my go-to dessert from here on in…and I think I’m going to try them with a bunch of different flavors for fun. Maybe hazelnut or cherry or mint…

I also did your sweet potato fries and everyone went nuts for them, the mint really is just fabulous and surprising on them. And again, so easy!
    Thanks so much!

5. Anonymous says: July 12, 20091:03 pm

oops, I meant the LIME on the sweet potatoes…

6. Sunday Suppers says: July 12, 20092:23 pm

Yay!!! They really are unbelievably easy. Hazelnut would be so good!!

7. Mimi says: August 7, 20099:08 am

Many of the recipes I found for pot de creme involve baking in water baths…just to be clear, this is a no-bake dessert?? :)

Do you recommend substituting orange blossom oil for the alcohol OR simmering orange zest in the milk (straining before incorporating with the chocolate)? I’m looking forward to this dessert, thanks!

8. Sunday Suppers says: August 8, 200912:53 am

Hi Mimi- you are correct in that they are a n bake dessert. The hot milk cooks the eggs.
    I think it would be great with orange flower water or zest in the milk! Delicious!

9. Mimi says: August 10, 20093:25 am