Ladies Lunch :: Chilled Corn Soup

A wonderful and refreshing second course at our Ladies Lunch was this corn soup.  We love that this is served chilled since our meal was served al fresco, great for a summer day. Bon Appétit. (see recipe card below for full instructions)

Recipe Courtesy of the Jewels of NY

1 large carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 large fresh thyme sprigs
4 bay leafs
1/2 cup smoked ham, diced
fried corn and ham for garnish
ice
salt / pepper to taste

Bring milk, corncob halves and ham shank just to boil in large stock pot. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep while sautéing vegetables.
Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion; sprinkle with salt and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add corn kernels, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add water, thyme, bay leaf, and milk mixture with corncobs and ham shank.  Increase heat and bring to boil. Cover partially, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors.

Cool soup slightly. Discard corncobs, herb sprigs, bay leaf and ham shank. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain soup into large bowl, pressing on solids. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Cool over ice water bath. Cover and chill.

1. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking says: August 18, 201011:26 am

Ooh, this does look refreshing and tasty!

2. LeedsGirlNextDoor says: August 18, 20102:07 pm

So simple but looks sooooooo delicious!

3. Beth Dotolo @ Hello, Splendor says: August 20, 201011:05 am

This looks amazing…. blogging about it today! And, attempting it this weekend!

4. elizabeth moyer says: August 23, 20106:11 pm

Adore corn soup — chilled…sounds even better for summer!

5. Mama yeti says: August 25, 20109:00 am

What an original recipe! I would have never thought of it! Thanks for sharing.

6. Jihan S. says: August 26, 20107:46 pm

That looks DEE-LISH!

7. Beth Dotolo @ Hello, Splendor says: August 30, 201012:12 pm

So… I tried this recipe and it was DELICIOUS!! Recipe card was easy to use and it went very smooth! Thank you!!

I chronicled my attempt here: http://www.hellosplendor.com/2010/08/my-sunday-supper-chilled-corn-soup.html

It was a major feat for me!! Thanks again!

8. [...] This recipe for chilled corn soup made me salivate… I’ve been thinking about it all week and [...]

9. [...] week my favorite food blog, Sunday Suppers, posted a mouthwatering recipe for a chilled corn soup. Being in the heat of summer, this sounded amazing to me! One of the great things about their site, [...]

10. a fine corn frenzy : Old Sweet Song says: August 18, 201110:42 am

[...] chilled corn soup from sunday suppers Category: get in my belly! [...]

11. Kate Olsson says: April 22, 20126:38 am

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I passed on the Versatile Blogger Award to you at http://dinnerfornone.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/hat-trick.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful recipes

12. Jenny says: August 2, 20137:43 pm