Grilled Pizza :: The Dough

Vincent Rotolo, our instructor and grilled pizza extraordinaire taught our class how to make the most perfect grilled pizza dough. The end result is perfectly crispy and thin, and just wait till you see the toppings, so yummy. The class really got in there, fists and elbows – and everyone took home a large ball of dough so they could make their pizzas at home as well. The recipe is below on the recipe card. Let us know if you try it out – we don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Photos by Karen Mordechai
Recipe Courtesy of Vincent Rotolo/Sunday Suppers

Grilled Pizza Dough

1- envelope dry yeast
1- cup water – room temperature or warm
1 teaspoon honey
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup fine ground flax meal- corn mean can also be used- I even sometimes substitute semolina flour
3 1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons good quality virgin olive oil
3 cups all purpose flour

1- in a large bowl add the water, yeast and honey
2- after all is dissolved slowly stir in the flax meal, whole wheat flour, salt and olive oil
3- slowly stir in the flour until a firm dough has formed
4- remove all contents from bowl and continue to knead on a floured surface until a smooth dough has formed adding additional flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
5- after you have achieved a smooth sough clean of any lumps transfer to a large bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil. add oil to the top make sure a skin does not form while rising. cover the bowl and let rise for about 2 hours. remove dough and knead again.
6- let the dough rise again for about 30 minutes.

1. nina says: September 21, 201011:56 am

I am in awe!!! This site is fast becomming my favorite site!!!

2. denise matthews says: September 21, 201012:10 pm

I can’t wait to make this! thank you for sharing!

3. BODIE and FOU says: September 21, 201012:32 pm

Will definitively try this one! I have been making pizzas recently and I taught my 5 years old how to make one to celebrate her first day back at school

4. Camille Becerra says: September 21, 20104:58 pm

oooooo, i love the black and white images. karen for president!

5. Pretty Pink Tulips says: September 21, 20105:46 pm

This was SO much fun! Grant and I loved being a part of Sunday Suppers…and faithfully brought our dough home and made grilled pizzas for our family. It was a big hit….and I think Grant is officially comfortable grilling something besides a steak!

Elizabeth

6. ines says: September 22, 20106:46 am

We loved this! And since coming back to Lisbon, we have already grilled pizzas twice! Our families are addicted!! :)

7. Caroline C says: September 22, 201012:21 pm

Hi!
    I was trying to print the recipe card for the pizza dough but when I did, the text appeared as symbols and numbers. I tried to do the same with other recipe cards and the same thing happened! I don’t know if this was because of the virus you had or if it was something unrelated. Just thought I’d let you know.
    Thank you for your brilliant recipes and stunning photography. I have never been disappointed.

8. Lauren O'Neill says: September 23, 201010:39 am

Yum! These grilled pizzas look absolutely delicious!

We’re supposed to have a beautiful weekend here, I’m thinking grilled pizzas for sure! Thanks for sharing : )

9. Kari @ the Babs Blog says: September 23, 201011:21 pm

Just found your site—-it’s beautiful. Planning on giving you a mention on the Babs blog. I’m becoming a regular for sure. Thanks for sharing!

10. admin says: September 24, 201010:38 am

hi caroline, i’m sorry you’re having trouble – we will definitely look into this, although it looks ok on our end- have you tried another browser ?
    if you email us, i’ll send you the recipes – and thanks so much for letting us know.

11. Shawn Byles says: November 13, 201011:57 am

My husband and I had a blast at this dinner.Vincent was great, the setting superb and the Van Leuwen’s ice cream recipe/presentation ( my favorite ice cream) a nice added surprise. I’ll be posting some of these beautiful pics on my blog. We’ll be back,
    Shawn

12. ashfa says: June 5, 201112:59 am

hi. i love wat you do..can i ask if i can omit wheat flour to make tis dough?

13. admin says: June 5, 20116:53 pm

hi ashfa- not sure how that would affect the recipe, but please let us know if you decide to try it-

14. Mary-Ellen says: May 27, 20128:46 pm

I used your pizza dough recipe to make grilled pizzas tonight. Oh. My. Goodness. Dinner was awesome!!!!! I had to make a few adjustments based on what I had on hand, and then added fresh chopped rosemary to the dough. Wow! Thanks for a keeper of a recipe!

15. admin says: May 29, 20121:13 pm

Mary Ellen thanks so much for writing to tell us! rosemary in the dough sounds like a great touch